When it comes to food consumption…
… the “Clean Plate Club” has been officially ruled-out of the good-for-you category. Not only do excess calories lead to a whole host of obesity-related health problems, but did you know that it’s also been linked to shortened life expectancy?
Excessive food overwhelms the digestive system, making the elimination of toxins less effective. Fortunately, there are a myriad of cleansing and detoxifying plans, several of which will be reviewed here, that can help gain control of appetite, stimulate weight loss and rid the body of accumulated chemicals.
The Tough Job of Digestion
As it turns out, digestion is an essential but energetically demanding process. This is believed to explain why people who eat around 1,500 calories per day have longer lives. Food in proper quantities provides the essential nutrients to maintain health and vitality. In excess, however, food overwhelms the digestive and elimination systems to leave the body in worse shape than it was before a meal.
Just as an overworked employee rarely keeps up with his pastimes, a body overloaded with stressful tasks such as excess digestive duties relegates deep detoxing to a neglected hobby. Toxins are stashed away, piled up like so much dirty laundry out of the way but not yet cleaned. As such, a body cleansing program relies on minimizing the body’s workload, leaving time and energy for overdue tasks such as deep cleaning.
The Many Benefits and Potential Pitfalls of a Body Cleansing Program
Cleansing can bring about a profound sense of wellness. Oftentimes, one is left feeling substantially more energized, sleeping more soundly, feeling fewer sugar cravings and needing less caffeine. The shift in diet made during a cleansing plan often leads to noticeable weight loss and better long-term eating habits including better portion control.
The key to developing a taste for smaller portions through cleansing is to ensure that the program includes small, frequent meals. This ensures the blood sugar never oscillates substantially and the cues for hunger aren’t triggered. To avoid a sense of deprivation, make delicious super foods such as Yacon Syrup smoothies an integral part of the cleansing program.
A potential pitfall of cleansing is the temptation to revert to old habits. Proponents are adamant that cleansing programs should not be used as a periodic bandage on an otherwise broken dietary routine. Instead, cleansing is one important part of unlocking optimal vitality. An annual detox can be a great way to maintain wellness as one part of the journey toward a healthy lifestyle.
Essential Elements of a Full Body Cleanse
In order to choose the best cleansing option, it may help to understand that there are two main types of programs. Colon cleansing focuses on increasing frequency and effectiveness of bowel emptying. The ultimate goal of a colon cleanse is to sweep away any residual waste that may carry old toxins and prevent optimal functioning of the digestive tract. Systemic detoxification aims to improve the function of the colon as well as other organs of elimination. These include the liver, lymphatic system and skin.
While freeing the body to rid itself of toxins, it’s vital to also provide ample water to flush out released toxins. Fluid and fiber are fundamental to helping keep the colon in good working order and become particularly crucial while bowel cleansing.
A healthy balance of intestinal flora is key to maintaining colonic vitality. Probiotics available as supplements or in fermented foods such as natural yogurts help shift the population of gut bacteria toward more friend than foe. Prebiotics, foods that helps feed the friendly forms of gut bacteria, help keep this balance intact. The inulin and fructooligosaccharides (FOS) both naturally found in Yacon Syrup are excellent prebiotics making this a sweet treat for both you and your digestive well-being.
The Many Methods of Detoxification
There are several cleansing routines that can be conducted entirely at home. Some herbal supplements such as those that enhance liver and bowel function can be used along with a largely liquid diet and techniques including skin brushing, detoxifying baths and gentle exercises.
Tools for an At-Home Full Body Cleanse
• Colon cleanse: bulking agents such as psyllium husk powder, apple pectin or bentonite clay
• Digestive rejuvenation: probiotics and prebiotic inulin and FOS
• Liver support: supportive herbs such as milk thistle, dandelion and turmeric
• Skin: improved cell turnover and sweat production through dry skin brushing, saunas and mineral salt baths
• Lymphatics: improved flow of lymphatic fluid through massage, dry skin brushing, mini trampoline exercises and hand stands
There are also some health care retreats designed to bring about a step by step detoxing program. These may incorporate some semi-invasive procedures such as colonics. These special colon flushing techniques, sometimes also known as colon hydrotherapy, use special machines to gently wash away accumulated debris from the colon. Other services offered at retreats can include saunas, massage and meal preparation.
Prepping for a Detox: Ready… Set… Cleanse!
Any novice to detoxification should consider a short at-home program of three to seven days in order to become more comfortable with process. The step-by-step weekend cleansing program listed below is a great way to get started and may easily be extended to a one-week program as desired.
A Simple Weekend Cleanse
1. Choose a weekend with few excess tasks and during which you can rest and relax.
2. In the week prior to cleansing, reduce your intake of coffee, sugar, refined carbohydrates, dairy and meats. If you smoke, cut back and abstain from smoking during the cleansing weekend. Now is also the time to get any sweet snacks or toxic cleansers out of the house. Plan to restock your supply of Yacon Syrup and other inulin rich staples such as chicory.
3. Gradually increase your water intake during the week and plan to shop for fresh produce on Thursday or Friday.
4. Friday night: Make dinner a light salad of mixed greens seasoned with olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice and a shake of salt and pepper in place of dressing.
5. Saturday morning: Make your morning beverage a caffeine-free option such as mint tea, warm water with fresh lemon juice or brewed chicory. Flavor with your favorite milk alternative or Yacon Syrup.
6. Saturday meals: Have an 8oz serving of clear soup broth or freshly blended juice every 1-½ to 2 hours. Opt for juices with a predominantly vegetable content such as the Sweet Greens Detoxing Drink that uses low glycemic index Yacon Syrup rather than excess fruits for sweetness. Sip on water between meals, getting about 1-½ to 2 liters by the end of the day.
7. Saturday evening: Have a small but relatively hearty meal such as brown rice and tofu about 2 hours before bedtime.
8. Sunday: Repeat.
9. Monday: Gently ease out of your weekend routine with three small meals and two snacks. This should be divided into small portions of fresh vegetables, nuts and low fat protein such as fish, chicken or tofu every 2 or 3 hours.
Sweet Greens Detoxing Drink
Use this recipe as a standard part of the weekend cleansing program or for a daily boost of vital nutrients and prebiotic Yacon Syrup. Chop all ingredients and add to juicer one at a time until about 1 cup of juice is formed. Drink immediately.
• 1 cup of spinach
• 2 celery stalks
• 1 cup of kale, chopped
• 2 cups of romaine lettuce, chopped
• 1 cucumber
• 1 green apple
• 1/2 lemon, peeled
• 1 tsp Yacon Syrup Gold
After cleansing, consider a regular fasting routine and including more fresh juices in your diet. One day per month of nothing but liquids helps maintain colonic function by again providing rest from digestive duties. Many advocates cleanse for one week per year, adding herbal laxatives and liver supporting herbs to further enhance the effect. The satisfaction and purity guarantees behind non-GMO, low GI, prebiotic Yacon Syrup Gold make it the perfect addition to any cleansing and detoxing program.
If you’ve enjoyed this article, please link back to us at: